Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Next Step to Awesome

The day finally came for us to hear the results of my ONCA test, which would help me determine the need for Chemo Therapy and additional treatments.  Now as a teacher, I was feeling the heat that so many of my little people experience in my classroom waiting to find out how they did on their test.  This was a test I wanted a low score on however...not so much the case in my classroom. 
 
As we walked into the exam room and sat waiting for the doctor, I mentioned to Brent that I was super nervous and kept forgetting to breathe...a second later I got a text message from my sister that stated, "Breathe...I love you!"  I couldn't help but laugh which turned my nervous breathing into calmness.  This is life for me...laughter is my best medicine, not chemo so much, but laughter.....which will be a great side kick while I sit in a chemo lounge, surrounded by individuals who are fighting the fight courageously. 
 
My score on the test was borderline...of course it was!  Why make it a definite yes or no...well because that would be easy and not much in the world of cancer is easy. The silver lining in this situation was that yet again, I got to choose!  No telling this lady what to do!  After three weeks of waiting and healing, a lot of thinking goes into what you wish for the outcome to be.  Basically, we went in knowing our plan of action, lets face it, it wouldn't be like me to do it any other way! 
 

The first thing I received when Dr. Medgyesy came in the room was a big hug...exactly what this hug crazy person needed.  Followed by, "How's my little trooper doing?"  I was taken back by this statement a little, but I quickly remembered that I was probably on the younger side of her patient population. This was followed by a review of my genetic testing that came back negative for the genes and normal with no mutations...so my weirdness is a learned trait, not genetic...there's hope for my kids...but only on mommy's side of the gene pool...they're at a total loss from their father's side...ha!  This testing ensured that I did not pass on any genes to my daughter that might put her at risk...thank you again, Lord.
 

Next, we talked ONCA testing and I scored an 18...bummer sort of!  Tough because it wasn't black and white, but in the cancer world there really isn't too much of that...mostly gray areas.  We talked Estrogen blocker meds for the next ten years...yikes! Ten years puts my daughter into her senior year of high school...seriously dude?  Bad part is I have to remember to take it every day for ten years...not so good at that part, but we have apps for that, right...I heart technology...and alarm reminders!  The sergeant, known as my husband, will also keep me in line.  

The second part was the dreaded chemo talk..yucko!  Then Dr. Medgyesy said four treatments...can you believe that???...only four treatments...I'm so lucky and overwhelmingly blessed!  It's all those prayers and thoughts from all of you...best news this girl could get.  I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH! So, I will get a treatment every three weeks for the next 12 weeks.  

Basically, I will go in and relax, sit, talk (what I do best), for three hours.  The first day, I was told I will feel fine, day two could wear me out a little, day three and four are usually tough, and day five I will get my strength back.  Doesn't that sound like a vacation? So my first treatment is scheduled for July 15th...then that week I will be taking notes and seeing how my body responds to the treatment.  This will help me determine what to expect for the following three...but I think they will progressively get more difficult as my body is weakened. 
 

My plan for fighting these four treatments, is starting with trust in God, positive attitude, smiles and laughter, more of that, and knowing that "awesome" is in sight.  That has been our saving grace.
 

Brent and I get chemo educated on July 9th, our 8th wedding anniversary, which will be one for the books.  My first chemo treatment will be on July 15th, so until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment