Thursday, May 23, 2013

Overwhelming Support



Mrs. Hale presenting me with the 5th Grade Donation

Over the past few weeks of waiting, it has been agonizing, necessary, and overwhelming.  All I can say is that it is easy to be positive when you have so many people rallying around you and empowering you to fight.  From my number one…Brent, my family, friends, co-workers, Zach Community and even friends that live far away who have reached out, it has been the most amazing feeling.  My friends helped me research and set up the Give Forward donation account and Meal Train that you see on the blog.  A wonderful parent made me a business card to hand out with my blog address and information on it to give to people for easy access.  The Zach Elementary 5th Graders presented me with a $1,200 check to “Amy’s Fund”, which is an account my husband set up for me with the help of some Zach parents.  This is another place to keep all of my donations, only in a separate account.  Jenni Northen has arranged for the Kona Ice truck to come next Thursday and they are donating 50% of what they sell to my fund.  (She even made flyers to hand out!)  The donations, gifts, cards, smiles, hugs, and kind words have been AWESOME!  Please know that your support, even through comments on the blog, are exactly what I need to get me over this bump in the road and I take every single one to heart.



My next appointment on this journey was with Dr. Dickinson, who is my surgeon for the double mastectomy.   I must say, just listening to that man speak made me realize just how intelligent, compassionate, and incredibly fortunate I am that Dr. Klingner referred me to him.  He got me up to speed on my options, what kind of procedures would take place and what recovery could look like.  The best news by far was finding out that the mastectomy surgery and reconstructive surgery could take place at the same time.  After being well informed of my options, I was puzzled about which one would be best. Knowing my worrying capabilities, a double mastectomy would definitely be the best choice.  I felt very supported in my decision and wanted to get as close to a cure as possible.  This option left me with about a 4% chance that the cancer could return, which was much better in my dramatic mind than a 15% chance with the other options.  Call me crazy, but I know where this lady goes when there is a possibility and a double mastectomy is right for me.  
 
Another decision we had to make was determining if we wanted to have genetic testing done.  I was under the impression this option would give me information to determine if my sweet Paytor Pie would be affected in the future or not.  I am still leaning heavily on the "not" part.  Little did I know, this testing would give me beneficial information for my daughter's future, as well as, my mother, my aunts, my female cousins, and my dear sisters.  After learning this information, I was undoubtedly getting the testing done.  However, the down side is that it meant another blood draw...boo!  I think I may have scared the nurse for Dr. Medgyssey because again, I asked for a bed to lay on.  So funny!  We are still waiting to hear the results of this test, however, it won't impact my decision to move forward with a double mastectomy.


This is when the waiting game began.  I wouldn’t meet with my plastic surgeon, Dr. Boustred, for another two weeks to discuss the reconstructive options.  Of course, during this waiting game, Angelina Jolie decided to announce her decision of preventative surgery, in which she opted for my same choices in treatment.  I always knew she was a smart woman! (Ha Ha)  The good part about this announcement was that a number of articles have been surfacing about the latest and greatest treatments for breast cancer.  I have found some to be very supportive and others to be very negative.  My thought on this business….each person needs to decide what is best for them and stick to it.  No matter what is said, good or bad, I know in my heart that the decisions I have made to beat this disease are the best decisions for me, and frankly, that is all that counts.  The decisions a person is confronted with when given a diagnosis of cancer are certainly not taken lightly.  I have depended on the research my husband has done, the professional advice of my “Dream Team”, the prayers that have been sent my way, and what the ol’ gut has to tell me, which is usually a craving for Cool Mint Crème Oreos.  Next up, my visit with Dr. Boustred…..in the meantime, check out the new Oreo commercial...so cute and I LOVE OREOS!

2 comments:

  1. I love you...and oreos! But definately you more...:) :) Love your posts Amy! I draw from your strength!

    Love you,
    Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another success story to share...my aunt (who is my age) had a double mastectomy probably 8 years ago now. She looks great, still is very active, and best of all, cancer free! You go girl!
    Shari Grosenbach

    ReplyDelete