Monday, September 2, 2013

A Little Bit of Everything....


 Photo: Thank you for a great weekend of shows Colorado!! It's taken me a few days to get to this post.  I'm still star struck and trying to kick my chemo side effects.  So I thought I would tell you all the whole story behind my once in a life time opportunity of meeting the musician I have loved and adored for many, many years.
To fill you in on a little background, last Sunday I was getting ready and unfortunately found another lump in my armpit near the bottom of my incision on the same side as my first lump.  I tried not to freak out immediately, but way easier said than done with all that I have been through.  I screamed for my husband to come check it out since he is my professional lump finder and he reassured me that it was probably something from my surgery. Our assumptions were that it was probably a swollen lymph node from my cold or some scar tissue from my incision.  Regardless, I was worried sick and needed a doctor's opinion.  I already had an appointment with Dr. Medgesy on Monday morning at 10:00am for my chemo check, so I knew it would happen sooner than later.
On Monday, I went to school like normal and didn't psych myself out until I was needing to tell some people who were covering me for my appointment.  After sharing what I thought was fine, I called my sister and lost it.  I wasn't fine about the lump.  In fact, I was mortified by it and scared to death.  Brent continued to come in and calm me down, as did my sister on the phone, so I was able to make it through the morning with my students, no problem.
We finally left for my appointment and I knew that I would get to see my partner in crime, as she had chemo that day.  This always puts a smile on my face.  We went to my appointment first. 
Dr. Medgesy was incredibly calm which is what I love about her.  I mentioned the lump before she even got a chance to hug me.  Worried...to say the least!  I hopped up on the medical bed and she thoroughly checked me over.  She didn't think the lump was anything to worry about, but she wanted an ultrasound done to make sure.  At this point, my hopes had dropped and again worry was setting in super quick.  It was wonderful to know that she wasn't overly concerned because we had such good margins during my surgery.
Before I left the office, I popped in to see my friend and gave her a hug.  I let her know about the ultrasound and she had the same reaction as me.  Lets just say, I wasn't expecting it, but was a little happy to know exactly what was going on.
Fast forward two days and it is Wednesday...Ultrasound Day/Chemo Day!  We had my ultrasound early in the morning and I was a little more insistent about having my husband with me in the room this time around.  Don't test this lady!  It's a really good thing because I was super scared about what we might find out. Funny thing was that my nurse was the same gal that took care of Brent when he had his splenectomy, ten years ago and she totally remembered us!  They did the ultrasound on my lump to find a mass that was 8mm by 5mm, but the good thing was that it was liquid filled...this is a good sign in the cancer part of the world, I guess.  It ended with Dr. Jean asking for a biopsy on the lump to get a definitive answer on what exactly had formed in my armpit.  At this point, I had super mixed feelings.  I also wanted to know exactly what it was, but the biopsy is what lead to my diagnosis of cancer last time and that realization was terrifying.   She left the room and I sobbed in my husband's arms.  All I want is to be healthy and I am so close.  That's all that kept going through my head.  What I would give to have "normal" back again...I would never take that for granted.  We proceeded with the biopsy and again my husband got to sit through the whole thing.  He says it was cool...those are NOT the words that were going through my head.  It was quick and we knew we would get the results by Friday.  Thank goodness...the waiting game might be the most nerve racking part of cancer.



After my biopsy, we headed over for a blood draw, lunch, and then my chemo session.  When I got to chemo, I was surprised by my teammates who had come over during lunch to cheer me on...they made my day!  I needed those hugs and laughter after everything I had been through that morning.  Chemo started off with a snap...literally!  My favorite nurse Kathy, was trying to get a heating pad started and it blew up on her.  I'm so thankful that she was alright.  I finished chemo and got to pick up my littles.  Those two babies do it for this lady.  I don't think there's anything better than hugs and kisses and conversations with your own kids.   


 
The day had finally come for me to go to the concert I had been waiting for since before my diagnosis.  I had moved my chemo treatment, thanks to my husband insisting that I wouldn't feel good if I didn't.  Boy was he right!  Brent knows me so well...it's kinda scary sometimes! At 8:05am, the phone rang and it was the Cancer Center....talk about knots in your stomach.  They told me it was non-cancerous and that they would just monitor it.  I hung up, hugged Brent and the water works began again...I know...so emotional. After composing ourselves, Brent and Payton went down in the basement to "work" on something, so I headed down to check it out...until I was stopped by my 7-year old insisting that it was a surprise and that I couldn't see it yet.  I turned around and headed back up the stairs. A little while later, Payton came running upstairs beaming from ear to ear holding a sign they had made and colored.  It read, "take my wife on stage-cancer survivor" with two pink ribbons on each side.  Touched by her, is an understatement.  I am surrounded with the most loving three people I could ever be so lucky to have. 


 Later on, we jumped in the car, Keith Urban bound.  I was feeling pretty good since I was on day three after chemo.  We checked into our hotel room and waited to meet up with our friends, Brian and Stacie. Later, we went out to dinner and then headed up to Red Rocks.  The traffic was atrocious and needless to say, I was driving.  I'm not much of a risk taker when it comes to traffic.  About an hour and a half later we found ourselves making the hike up to the concert.  However, I was on day three and knew that the hike might very well use up the last ounces of energy I had left...so what do you do, but hop a cab to the top of course! Best idea ever..thanks Brent!  About five minutes later we were at the top and getting frisked by the security guards.  
We made it to our seats and were welcomed by the freedom to smoke pot in our state immediately.  Let me just say for the record, I didn't vote that one in.  Completely annoyed and beyond pissed off, I decided I wasn't going to let it ruin my night...that I had waited so long for.  
Keith started the show by walking on stage nonchalantly by himself ever so cool and relaxed, like he is and then his band followed.  I stood there swaying in Brent's arms to the music loving every minute of it.  This was probably our tenth Keith concert, so we had a pretty good idea of how it would all go. I always love his sign check.  He does this every time so that people aren't holding up signs and blocking the views of other fans. This time he got out a huge spotlight and shined it into the crowd.  He was searching and landed on our sign that Brent was waving, it's good that he's 6'3! Keith said, "Take my wife on stage".  He paused, "Well, where is your wife?"  I popped up in front of the sign and he said, "well, come on down here baby!"  He can call me baby anytime.  I made my way through the crowd and received a couple hundred hugs, high fives, OMGs, and I, myself, was just trying to keep from falling down the stairs.  
As I headed up on stage, I remember thinking to myself, just breathe.  Don't cry...even though this is a dream come true...just breathe and take every moment in.  I entered the stage and hopped, jumped, maybe even skipped over to him.  I COULD NOT believe what was happening. Keith put his arm around me and I was speechless, laughing, smiling uncontrollably, and trying to keep it cool.  He asked me where my husband was and I pointed to where our seats were.  Little did I know, Brent had nearly crowd-surfed his way down to the front row and pretty much beat me to the bottom.  I saw him in the front and pointed him out.  Keith said, "if this is your husband, then who's up there?"  Brent quickly replied, "Her boyfriend!"  That's our typical response.  Keith invited Brent on stage and I couldn't stop hugging Brent.  It was UNREAL I tell you.  Then Keith asked us our names, which we replied appropriately, but I was lucky to get anything out.  I was so overjoyed I couldn't really talk.  He asked me where we were from, in which I replied, "Fort Collins".  Then Brent took his chance and yelled, "Go Rams!" in the microphone.  I had to cheer because it's the Rams...must cheer. That was followed with a few boos, but we were nearly in Boulder, so it was to be expected.  After that, Keith took our picture with the crowd and then asked us what the sign said.  Brent proudly held it up and read it to him.  I don't think until that moment he had realized that I was a cancer patient.  I look that good, people....ha! 
I had made a deal with Brent that if I got on stage, I would take my wig off....well, I did it.  You never break a promise with my husband.  When I took off my wig, Keith dropped to his knees.  I don't think he could believe what he was seeing.  The crowd at this point went absolutely crazy.  I have to say I wasn't expecting a reaction quite like it happened.  I truly did it because I made a promise and if my hubs made this dream come true, I certainly owed it to him to follow through on my part. Brent snapped a picture of my bald head and Keith Urban. Keith gave me a few smooches one on my bald head. A moment I will never forget.  After that craziness, Brent and I headed off the stage and went back to our seats.  
It wasn't until we got back to our seats that all of the excitement hit me...I started crying tears of joy, excitement, thankfulness for all of the amazing things that have occurred in my life, and most of all, I felt so incredibly lucky to have gotten that opportunity.  A few minutes later, we were interrupted by a gentleman who was giving us his front row tickets.  He took us down to the front and we stood in the front row, center stage for the rest of the concert, dancing, singing our hearts out, and living in a surreal moment.  There is nothing better than singing and dancing in the arms of the one you love. 


 After the concert, we continued to get celebratory high fives, hugs, gifts, and comments about what had happened, even when we got back to the hotel.  I have to say that this night was a reminder of how much of an impact one simple act can have on so many people.  Something I hadn't necessarily realized.  Although cancer can sometimes be a cuss word, it really has shown me the beauty of life and love of all things simple.  I have learned so much from this journey, but most of all I have learned to love out loud.
After this amazing night, I spent the next two days in bed sleeping away my chemo...nearly 24 hours in two days.  Sounds crazy and a bit far-fetched, but totally real.  I was one tired pup.  I have received many people reaching out to me through my facebook page, my blog, email, texts, and even on Keith Urban's facebook page.  In the meantime, my husband has been on a frenzy, impersonating me so that others can get their questions answered, while I slept the day away.  Thanks, sug!
On a final note, I wanted to let you all know that I am going to be a team captain for the Race for the Cure down in Denver on Sunday, September 29th.  It is the largest 5K for Breast Cancer in the nation. I will include registration information in the column to the right, if you might be interested in joining my team: "Amy's Road to Awesome".  We are doing the 8:00 walk/jog!

6 comments:

  1. amy...LOVED reading this post! you deserved a night like this...what a fun memory! you look gorgeous in the picture with keith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, loved getting to read about the excitement after seeing all the pics and posts on fb. How awesome and your outlook is even more so. I think about you often and have been praying for you. Honestly praying. Thanks for sharing and being so vulnerable. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I loved reading about your amazing experience with Keith at Red Rocks!! I am so happy that Woody and I were there and got to see it in person. We were there with Steve and Mariana Treat and we were all literally crying tears of joy, we were so happy you got to be up there on stage with one of your favorite artists! I will never forgot Woody looking up at your sign and then turning to me and saying "Is that AMY UHRICH??" Were were freaking out! SO great! Sending you tons of positive energy for continued healing and strength through the process. Hugs to you! Marjorie (Moss)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were there that night! I couldn't believe it when I saw your beautiful face on the big screen. I started screaming "That's Amy! OMG That's Amy!" My family thought I was insane and the guy in front of me turned around and said "so you know her?". Ha! After that I calmed down from the excitement of knowing someone touching Keith Urban! Then I soaked up the moment and cried while I watched you and Brent. So happy and proud to know such a strong courageous person!
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy - Oh I can't tell you how my heart sank when I saw the Davis' FB post about the article in the Coloradoan......we love you SO very much...I am so thankful that you have had such great support!! My (not so little any more) guy and I had a similar experience with Martina McBride behind stage a few years ago before she sang here in FC - remember her hit song "God's Will"? I can't think of a more deserving person than you to get a memory maker like that...God's hand is on you - obviously reminding you that He is with you each step of the way on this road. Know that you are now in my daily prayers....I will be in touch - Giant Hug to you and Brent!!!! S <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Amy!
    I was right in front of you at Red Rocks when you were called on stage...the one yelling, "GO! GO! GO! He told you to GO!" lol I've searched online countless times for official video of it so I could save it. As a 3 time Melanoma survivor, it was so emotional for me to watch you on stage and the memory of that night still gets to me. Please know that I have kept you in my prayers and I will continue to do so. Best of everything to you.
    Smiles,
    Tawni Walton

    ReplyDelete