Saturday, July 20, 2013

Week 1 of Chemo...showing it who's "Boss".

Well, I did it folks!  I made it through week one without much to worry about.  Here's how it went:

On Monday, we dropped the kiddos off at our friend's house early in the morning and headed in for my blood draw.  The great part about this morning is that I knew I might get to see my partner in crime before she left her appointment.  Lucky me, I got the hug and laughter I was hoping for before we headed over to the Lab with our Disney Fast Pass.  The Cancer Center has a Fast Pass that you give the receptionist and basically you get to bypass all of the million people in the waiting room along with a special VIP room (that's what I'm choosing to call it because I felt special like that!).  I got my blood drawn and then headed over to the Chemo Lounge for my first infusions.


Before we started Chemo, the Mr. and I had many conversations about whether I would do Chemo in a private room or in the lounge with other patients.  Together, we felt that opting for a private room for my first go round would ease my anxiety a little about how it was all going to happen.  I think Brent wanted a TV in the room just in case some dumb fantasy football show was on (isn't it a little early for that honey?) little did he know, we were going to be watching Season 2 of Downton Abby.

 
Coincidence??  I think not!

Before I started receiving my injections, Brent and I sat in the room and checked it all out.  Immediately I spotted a picture on the wall of a road.  Now, you all may think I'm nuts, but I'm telling you it was a sign.  This was no picture with a road in it.  It was a picture of a road...so I teared a bit and did what I should do and took a picture of it.  Having this experience the first time definitely put my head in a good place, my heart at ease, and my veins ready for fire.

My chemo nurse was Kathy and she was amazeballs.  She explained everything step by step, and I didn't get nervous even once, but I think having the big guy next to me played a big part.  If you haven't realized yet, I'm not so tough on my own, but when my husband is by my side, I will pretty much tackle anything.  He gives me strength in my heart, my being and in my confidence unlike anyone else on earth.  

 
TV?..check.  Iphone?...check. Warm Blanket?..check

We got started with my multiple drips and sat there.  I was in a nice leather Lazy Boy Recliner, while Brent got a hard hospital type chair...I felt kind of bad.  While we sat, we watched Downton Abby, cut out math stations for my college class I'm taking, talked, got lunch, and well, relaxed.  It wasn't so bad.  Near the middle of my second chemical, I was made aware that my potassium levels were low so I would need to stay another two hours to get those levels up.  Although you would think that is a major drag, I really do think the extra liquid in my body helped me flush the chemo through. 

I finished chemo at about 4:45pm and then headed straight for a play date at the pool.  Crazy, probably, but my friend was in town, and I made certain that my chemo treatment would not inflict on my social priorities.

As the week progressed, I made some goals for each day.  First of all, I was going to take it one day at a time...to keep my anxiety in check...worked sort of.  I was going to try and drink 10-8 oz. glasses of water per day, eat 5 small meals per day, and exercise 20 minutes per day.  Now this may not seem like much to accomplish, but have you ever tried to drink 10 glasses of boring water each day for five days straight?  Well, I'm tellin you it is not an easy task.  With suggestions from friends and family, I started to flavor the water with fruit and found that raspberries and strawberries were my favorite combo in my water.  However, cucumber and mint were not.  I guess I prefer to eat my veggies and not drink them.  

My Strawberry Water!
 
My kiddos helped Brent take care of things around the house and when Brent and Rylan went to run errands, Brent asked Payton if she could take care of mommy.  Payton responded with "you mean I get to be mommy's vet?"  What was she trying to say??  Such a funny girl.

 
Rylan Vacuuming!
 

Dishes getting done!

Each day was different this week in the way my body was responding to the chemo.  Overall, I wasn't in any major pain, I didn't get sick, and more than anything, I just wanted to get back to normal...that is normal for me.  The only side effects I experienced this round was tiredness (3 hour nap yesterday!!), achiness, and feeling incredibly full on water, not to mention the feeling of a hairball in the back of my throat.  That's not much to worry about, but I know that as I continue with treatment, the other side effects may become more prominent with my weakened immune system.  My take on it is....I'll worry about that when the time comes.

For the rest of my two weeks off before my next treatment, I will be looking forward to losing my hair (not sure that I'm looking forward to it, but want to get it over with), getting my wig, getting my energy back, feeling healthy and enjoying my summer days with friends and family.  Until next time...


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that all went well with the first treatment! I'm sorry to hear that my cucumber and mint suggestion was an epic fail! ha!
    We are thinking of you. You have my number- just call if you need me to take the kids off your hands for a day. They'll probably come home dirty and smelling of horse poo, but I'll keep them busy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay...round one under your belt! So glad the side effects haven't been too bad...your positive attitude plays a huge role in that I'm sure! And those kids of yours are just workhorses...you better tell them the doctors say they need to do that until they are 18.

    ReplyDelete